Hip pain might not be an issue for someone in their 20s but as I start to get a bit older my joints feel like they are tightening up. Hip pain can lead to a variety of other issues with many people that experience hip pain also having back pain. I never realized the difference that was easily noticed when switching up my shoes and its impact on my nagging hip pain. I never thought I would see the day back when I would be picking shoes based on reducing my hip pain. But now I know finding the best shoes for hip pain is very important.
People that experience back or hip pain might simply need to put an insert in their current shoes. There are shoes that will wreak havoc on your joints due to a lack of cushion. Ankle support can be important as well as I know from experience that rolling an ankle on a night out is a nightmare. A tight hip flexor could pull the spine into a weird position leading to increased pain.
Below are a few causes of hip pain that are common for many individuals:
- Injuries are quite common in sports or even stress fractures from overuse injuries could be present. Gymnasts and swimmers tend to have these issues. With age, hip injuries will occur more often and can be catastrophic. I can tell you that a fall can hurt for days later and you might feel much older at 35 than you have ever imagined.
- There is a chance that you have a pinched nerve that leads to shooting pain up your hip and possibly down your leg. Sciatica is considered immensely painful and needs to be dealt with immediately.
- Arthritis can be debilitating so it is important to take care of your joints and essential to eat a diet rich with nutrients known to support joint health. I haven’t experienced arthritis but judging from what friends and family have told me, I hope I never have to endure this constant pain.
- Hip pain can be caused by cancer as well with bone cancer having a common symptom of your hips hurting.
Pain in the Hips When Going for a Run or Walking
Pain is the name of the game for many people that choose running or Treadmill Walking as their form of weekly/daily cardio. The surface that you are running on could be causing pain so opt for a track or run on the beach if possible. I understand the importance of being able to get through a workout without pain or discomfort other than slowly dying during a 5K run.
The hips are responsible for carrying the majority of your bodyweight. The joint has tendons and muscles within it making it a stable joint for most healthy younger individuals. There are some people that simply need to learn a new style of running or walking as their current form is causing them pain. Knee pain can be associated with running as well without the right running gear or by running on a high-impact surface.
Running shoes have really improved over the last few decades. The support in current shoes dwarfs the support in the original pair of Nike running shoes that were created at the University of Oregon. Your form of running needs to stay consistent as a small tweak when you get tired can lead to days of pain. I understand that some people are sore for days after a run but there is a huge difference between pain and discomfort.
What Should You Look for in a Shoe that Helps Reduce Hip Pain?
Reducing hip pain with the right pair of shoes is a common remedy for people with nagging pain that simply will not quit. Your needs are going to be immensely important as shoes differ whether you want to run long distances or just walk around during a normal day. Picking a pair of heels for a long walk is a mistake I have seen some friends make which usually results with them carrying the heels after a few blocks.
Below are what you should consider if you are going to be lifting weights in the shoes:
- For those people that love the gym and lifting weights, it is important to look for shoes with flat soles. For anyone that has squatted in cross-training shoes understands the importance of a flat sole. Olympic lifts will benefit from these types of shoes and can help reduce hip pain.
- Find the right fit for you and your lifting style. It might take a few different attempts as not all brands will give you the fit that you desire.
- I recommend that you do a few practice movements as you should simulate a deadlift or squat so you can see how the shoe holds up.
- Budget can be an issue as these specialty shoes can be extremely expensive for what is received.
Below are aspects for those people that are running enthusiasts:
- There are certain people that run as a part of their workout and those that run as it is a part of their life they enjoy. I encourage you to pick a shoe that will fit your running style in the best way possible. A runner that racks up multiple miles daily might go through multiple pairs of running shoes in a single year.
- I recommend that you pick a pair of shoes that have plenty of toe room. Running a long distance will lead to your feet swelling regardless of how often you run. The shoes that you choose for running might be up to a full size larger than casual shoes due to this fact.
- The right arch is more important in running shoes than any other type of shoes. A stress fracture in the foot could lead to hip pain due to a modified unnatural running style.
- Trust your instincts as I cannot tell you the perfect pair of running shoes as too many factors impact what works for one individual that does not for another.
Shoes for everyday use will also differ from the features that are present. Below I will delve into the important features that will help reduce hip pain:
- Shoes that you are going to wear around the house or to run errands will be different than running shoes in terms of requirements. Ankle support might be more important in a running shoe as most people do not sprain an ankle or hurt a hip on a daily basis.
- There are going to be certain shoes that are nearly perfect but test out different insoles. Your hips could be hurting one day and with the right insert into the shoe, all of the pain has been eliminated.
- Comfort is always important especially if you are going to do household chores or even mow the lawn. The combination of comfort and durability along with affordability is a tough balance to find but I assure you that it is possible.
Other features that will help reduce hip pain from walking or running are listed below:
- The cushioning is important in terms of absorbing the shock when running or walking for long distances. For people that stand on their feet all day due to their profession, this cushion can be immensely important in maintaining a healthy posture. Standing all day is something that I don’t have to do but do have days where I cannot seem to get time to sit down/relax.
- A solid heel can allow for the shock to be reduced and allow hip pain to be eliminated.
- Take the time to look at reviews that mention hips as people are likely to review a shoe that helped them in such an immense way.
- Do not wear high heels as this can cause hip pain after a long day. Try to solve your hip pain as there are other stylish pairs of shoes that can be worn in a variety of settings.
Table of Contents
- Best Shoes For Hip Pain – Reviews
- ASICS Women’s Gel-Kayano 23 Running Shoe
- Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
- Orthopedic Diabetic Flat Feet Shoes
- Fashion Graffiti Personality Sneakers
- Stylish Sneakers High Top
- New Balance Neutral Light Running Shoe
- PUMA Women’s Faas 600 V3
- Rockport Cobb Hill Women’s Alexandra Boot
- PUMA Men’s Carson Running Shoe
Best Shoes For Hip Pain – Reviews
Everyone has heard of ASICS as they are one of the most respected shoe brands globally. I love this company as they continually try to improve their shoes and specialize in providing comfortable shoes that reduce hip pain.
For people that love running but struggle with hip pain, this can be a great option. I support quality brands that put their emphasis on the customer and improving their experience with the product.
The ability to walk a few miles per day for exercise can allow you to explore a local area or park while burning calories. Walking is going to be a nightmare in regular shoes if you are hiking. Hiking boots are essential as the last thing you want are blisters and I guarantee you do not want to deal with these after a long day of exploring.
These shoes are great for walking but do leave a bit to be desired as a running shoe. Take the time to try these on and remember that leather material might take a bit of time to break-in. I and many other people have worn leather boots until blisters have formed in the hopes of looking as stylish as possible.
The hips and lower back due to the insole that offers incredible arch support. The pain of the heel can be a hindrance and this is never an issue with the Orthopedic Diabetic Flat Feet Shoes. Below are a few more features that make this a great shoe for those looking to alleviate pain in the hips, back, or feet while walking.
I can recommend this shoe as a person that has had a person in my life that has worn these shoes. Being able to walk without pain allows you to be in better shape without torturing yourself.
The previous two shoes for hip pain are simply not in the same league in terms of style as the Graffiti Personality Sneakers. These are easy to slip on quickly and the following features help this stylish shoe stand out to me.
For those that want to showcase their personality while simultaneously eliminating hip pain from walking or running, this is the pair of shoes for you. These might not be suited for all offices or professions as I understand there are certain dress codes.
High-top shoes are recommended when playing sports like that of basketball as added ankle support can help an athlete avoid a sprain. These high-top shoes actually have a roll-cage for additional support. This has been associated with reduced pain in the hips and knees. Below are the features that make this shoe a great choice to alleviate pain.
Active lifestyles can have their needs met with this option and high-tops are making a comeback in my opinion. Nagging pain can keep you from reaching your full potential in a workout as you need to train to the best of your ability to truly see results.
New Balance and running are synonymous for many people as it is the shoe of choice for many avid runners. Hip pain can occur when running a frequently from the instability of shoes and the surface you are running on. Below are a few reasons that reviewers are mentioning how great this New Balance shoe truly is.
New Balance will continue to be a brand that various runners swear by. Reducing hip pain can allow you to go on longer runs and potentially run a personal best at a specific distance.
PUMA offers quality shoes without ever having to sacrifice on personal style. I enjoy PUMA products as they are immensely reliable and consistently some of the best-looking shoes on the market. Below are some of the features that not only reduce hip pain but also help with knee pain as well.
The claim that many reviewers make is that of reduced hip pain after using the shoes over the course of a few months.
The Rockport Company has created a great boot for people that have issues with pain when walking. For people suffering from hip or lower back pain, this boot could be the answer to your problem. Comfort is not lacking in this boot like with other boots that prioritize style over comfort. Below are a few features that make these boots a great option for all women.
PUMA is always going to deliver great running shoes for both men and women. The company is a style icon in my opinion as they combine luxury with athletic attire. The comfort that their shoes and clothes provide is nearly unmatched globally. Below are a few features that help reduce hip pain and allow this to be a quality purchase for any runner.
There could be a trial and error period with finding the best shoes for hip pain. I assure you that you will know when you have found the right pair as your pain will dissipate. If you have had hip injuries in the past, doing preventative physical therapy can also work wonders. Hip pain is something that is no joke and impacts the quality of life of millions of people around the world. You can also read about the Best Insoles For Shoes which can help to reduce the hip pain.
I recommend that you visit a specialty store that provides different types of shoes that focus on reducing pain and impact when walking or running. Technology can be used in order to allow you to see which shoes mirror your walking or running style. Professional athletes do this regularly as performance is essential when you are paid to play a sport of any kind. Still If you are facing orthotics issues then stop researching and you could simply use this guide to the best shoes for orthotics.
For those that have constant hip pain, it might be important to visit a medical professional. A nagging injury can prevent you from living the life that you want. A few days rest can work wonders and I as well as other people recognize this. You can’t stay in great shape if you are constantly getting injured due to choosing the wrong shoes for a hike, run, or walk.